Hey! This is Ana here.
Each time I am walking by my fish tank, my betta follow me and I feel like he’s saying “Mami! Mami! Where’s my FOOD?
Isn’t this cute? I know you’re going to say “Yes! It is!”
So, Let’s dive into the topic!
Sometimes I used to overfeed my Baymax (name of my betta) and sometimes he was almost starving! especially when I’m on a short vacation. But now I know he is much stronger than I thought! He can survive for a whole week without food! ( That doesn’t mean I’m recommending you to starve him!)
Here I’m going to cover:
- How often should you feed your bettas?
- What to avoid while feeding your bettas?
- What kind of food do bettas like the most?
- What to feed them when you run out of fish food?
So, how often should you feed your bettas?
To make sure they get enough nutrition, feeding them once a day is OK. If you feed them pellets, then 2 pellets twice a day it would be Ok. Recommended time is mornings & evenings.
While feeding your bettas you should avoid:
• Overfeeding: your playful bettas may eat even when they are not hungry.
• Leaving uneaten food: this is one of the most common mistakes we do; uneaten food gets rotten and pollutes the water which may make the bettas get sick and you know how stressful it is to deal with sick fish.
• Dropping the food anywhere into tank: bettas don’t like to eat from bottom of your tank, so make sure you got his attention before you drop food.
• Harvesting mosquito larva in dirty water: as you already know how much bettas like this sort of food you might want to harvest some; make sure you are not bringing any bacteria into your tank.
• Not cleaning worms: be careful while feeding live food (worms) by cleaning them thoroughly; you can try frozen worms instead.
• Not adding Aquarisol: while feeding frozen food use Aquarisol to prevent ick.
What sort of food do bettas like the most?
So… here is a small list of food your bettas will love to eat:
Live & Frozen Foods
• Mosquito Larvae
• Micro worms and Mini-micro worms
• Live Brine Shrimp
While shopping online these foods are prepareable.
• Aqueon Betta Food
• HBH Betta Bites
• Hikari Betta Bio-Gold
• NutraFin Max Color Enhancing Betta Food
• Omega One Betta Buffet
• Osi Star Betta Food
• San Francisco Bay Freeze Dried Bloodworms
• Top Fin Color Enhncing Betta Bites
• New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets
What to feed bettas when you run out of food?
You can try feeding them pea; boil them well and remove the shells.
You can also try raw shrimp.
I am going to write a guide of recipes of home- made food for bettas.
You can keep subscribed to our newsletters so that you don’t miss it!
Now please, go get the food fast!
Another problem you might face “if your betta spits out food what will you do?”
The reason of spitting out food might be either he didn’t like the food or he is not hungry.Also while feeding frozen or feezedried food such as worms it may seem a little hard or chrispy.You can put it into a cup and wait until it gets soft, it will take aroud 5 to 10 minutes.
If you have futher quary please let me know in the comment section.
I will definitely answer with pleasure.