The pet lover people love the turtle most among all the reptiles species in the world. Many reasons work behind this fascination. The most common features of turtles that attract people include
- Adorable facial expressions
- Attractive patterns on their shells
- Gentle habits
You may have a baby turtle which is popularly known as “hatchling” if your turtle breeds or if you buy one.
A baby turtle has to struggle when it is in the nest. In nature, there are some enemies of a baby turtle, and they are none other than raccoons, birds, and fish.
But when it is about a pet baby turtles, you must have to know the proper guidelines of rearing up a baby turtle. You have to know some caring facts that will ensure the healthy growth of your baby turtle. It is true that Most of the people buy their baby turtle from a pet store and most of the time they buy a cutest little green baby turtle.
How to Care of a Baby Turtle
But taking good care of a baby turtle is more important than buying a good one. So from the very beginning of buying a baby turtle, you have known that how to care of a baby turtle.
But nothing to be worried the baby turtle lovers. In this writing, I have given my efforts to discuss in brief about how to care a baby turtle.
Baby turtles are generally carnivorous. So it’s main food is different types of meat. Aside from that a baby turtle also like to have vegetables available. A baby turtle must have vegetables because it nibbles on them. So you have to keep vegetables floating on the water of the tank so that it can easily nibble on them.
You should feed your baby turtle -2 times daily in a small amount. But do not over feed them. If you feed them more than they need, your baby turtles will grow too fast, and then their shells will deform.
You have to maintain the following procedures to ensure proper growth of your baby turtle.
- Feed your baby turtles 2 or 3 times in a day.
- Feed aquatic baby turtle in a feeding tank which is small. Aquatic baby turtles are sloppy eaters. They stop their eating in the middle of their meals. So, if you feed your baby turtles in the aquarium, they will make dirty it.
- Feed your baby turtle, feeder fish as well as crickets.
- Give your baby turtles vitamin supplements they need. Baby turtles need vitamin D and they need them for their shell development.
- Leave foods for a half hour in the tank and remove then what is left.
You should ensure fresh food in the diet chart of your baby turtle. But be careful about giving your baby turtle much protein or fat. They can cause the shell deformities of your baby turtle.
Here you can check out below that which foods are good for baby turtles and their contribution in their growing.
- Frozen bloodworms. They are available at fish stores. They have high protein,
- Butter lettuce. I keep it floating in there for them to nibble on between meals.
- Frozen vegetable cubes. These cubes may have the variety of vegetables. They are chopped to a good size. You can feed one cube in a day to your baby turtle. You can get these vegetable cubes at fish stores.
- Fish Gum Drops. You can get them also at a fish store.
- Carrot slivers. But these carrots must be chopped in a small size.
- Chopped red worms. This worm also must be chopped up small pieces. Baby turtles like to eat them.
Shallow water is a place where basically a baby turtle can live with comfort. But this water has to be so deep that baby turtles can widen their shells.
But the water should not be deeper. Because if the water is deeper, then the baby turtle may be able to reach the surface which is not recommended.
You have to heat the water. Baby turtles need a basking spot also. So you need to provide a basking spot for them. This basking spot will help the turtle to get out easily.
You also have to change the water of the tank daily. But if you do not use any filter, you may change this water after every 2 or 3 days.
You need to be cautious in case of using the filter. This filter may create strong current sometimes, and for this strong current, your baby turtle may get exhausted.
Temperature is a very factor if you keep your baby turtle indoor. When you keep your turtles in a room, and the temperature of the room is low, then you have to cover up the temperature to keep the room warm enough. You should not let condensation accumulate. It will remain your turtle drying out enough.
Your baby turtle needs some vitamins also, especially vitamin D. You can keep them in the sunshine. Because the sunshine will help your baby turtle to get natural vitamin D.
You must keep the Baby turtles warm. It helps them to survive. This truly will increase their chance of survival.
The water of your aquarium should be 85F.The heat of basking spot should be 85F.
You can use an incandescent lamp to heat the basking spot as well as the water of the aquarium. You can also use a heating pad to heat a tank which has a little water.
You may try an aquarium thermometer to adjust the temperature.
It is unwise to expect that all of your baby turtles will survive. The reason is that the mortality rate of turtles is very high in the world.
If you buy a baby turtle which was kept under poor conditions before, it may die earlier. Because it is already sick.
Moreover, it is a very tough task to treat a small baby turtle.
So maintain proper cautious at the time of buying a baby turtle that whether it was in good condition and under proper care.
Handle your baby turtle with proper hygiene. Be sure that your hands are clean and hygienic before touching the baby turtle. Wash your hand before handling turtle.
In a whole, I can easily say that handling a baby turtle is not a tough work providing that you know the proper guideline of handling. So is your first and foremost duty to know that how to care a baby turtle properly before buying one.